Tuesday 9 August 2011

Oh My God! He's wearing a Fez! [MISC/DW]

Aaah! Why did they take so long to arrive? Not to mention customs made me pay £11.71! Seriously? And £8 was the handling fee from parcelforce. Okay, normally I don't care about this sort of thing but this is the first time I've gotten it on items that weren't doll related. Oh well, they've been paid because I want my items. -mutters something under breath-

Yes, more mac pictures~ (only because I share this stuff on tumblr too!) Aren't you guys so lucky? Actually there are a few under the read more that are taken with my camera so pop on through to see those~


Sidenote not related to this post: There is now a gap in my posters. I want a Boyfriend poster to fill it but... they don't have one on YesAsia. This makes for a sad Hazeo...

Okay! So yes, I finally got my Timelord Rock aka Trock album from Chameleon Circuit called Still Got Legs. I'm going to go through each song and just give my own opinion on them. Hey, don't take offence if I say I don't like your favourite song - this is just one nerd's opinion okay? OKAY!

The album begins with The Subwave Signal (0:23) which is just an intro into the album and just sounds like Doctor Who. You know, Doctor Who-y sounds. This is followed by Regenerate Me (2:43) which sounds like a nice rock song with an underlying electronic beat. Which of course is the theme tune for the show. I like the rough / heavy vocals of this song. It's a really nice mix and the lyrics give you a fantastic introduction to who the Doctor is if you're not a Whovian. In the middle of the song is a very awesome instrumental. Just the backing tracking and a couple of intstruments layered on top. It really seems like a nice track that, if fully instrumental, you could easily see being used on a tv show.

Following through with Nightmares (3:14). Not going to lie, the beginning of this song reminded me of MGMT, that echoing sound and the heartbeat. Haha. So this begins with audio from Doctor Who and then Alex starts singing (I think? haha). This is another rock type beat but in a style that would remind me of maybe The Rasmus? Wow, that's going back and not going to lie, took me a whole ten minutes to think of that groups name! But yeah, for some reason this song kinda reminded me of them. Not saying that's a bad thing! With all the music in the world these days you're going to be reminded of something right? Awesome. All in all it's a really nice track.

Hey look! I got the teeshirt too! Woo, reppin' Chameleon Circuit since.... 08/08... 

Next is The Travelling Man (4:00) which has a lovely upbeat melody and a nice harmonic supporting it. It's a really nice track and sounds very Jonah & the Whale, Florence and the Machine etc. Nice mix of intstrumental tracks, electronic beats & then the vocals. One of my favourite songs on the album. It's just... makes you feel so happy haha~ The harmonica solo is really nice as well. Ah, how can I praise this track without using the same words over and over? I think if you're into the groups I mentioned before you'd instantly love this!

Ah! Now we arrive at my very favourite track. Everything Is Ending (3:00) is... breath taking. The soft piano at the start with the female vocals, then introducing the male vocals.. It's very misleading as it follows with the electronic beat. No, really it's a mix that Chameleon Circuit make work! It's a beautiful dialogue between the Doctor and his companion, Amy. A truly beautiful track. The mixture of the high female vocals and the lower male vocals works very well. You can easily imagine this being sung by the Doctor and Amy to each other. Beautiful.



Now a nice guitar song haha. Mr. Pond (4:07) is a wonderfully angsty song~ The guitar melody helps to carry the message of the lyrics. The heavy electronic beats, the dirty sounds also lend themselves to the song. You can feel the emotion behind what 'Rory' is trying to say. All his troubled thoughts about how the Doctor has basically stolen away his girl. Hey, I haven't seen the full season yet and I get what's going on!

Oh hey an upbeat track, gotta love the elect mix of tracks on here haha. Kiss The Girl (2:56) is a track that has a nice mixture of vocal layers and like many other songs is a nice dialogue between 'characters'. It's a fun track that will make you smile as you listen to it. It reminds me of Scouting for Girls, mostly in the start. Again, don't ask why but that is what comes to mind.



Okay, Knock Four Times (0:36) is a wonderful break in the album but please, Chameleon Circuit, I would love a longer version of this. It seems as though it would be an amazing track. Interesting sound anyway - gritty, echoing vocals. Like something from the show that gives away a clue of foreshadowing or something!

Teenage Rebel (2:39) is next on the album. It has a really heavy gritty guitar sound and again this is mixed with electronic beats. It's a nice song and it flows nicely with the track. The instrumental for the track is nicely mixed and put together. It really works perfectly. It's the sort of song that if you heard being played live you'd really get into it. Mosh pit anyone? Lets get those fists in the air! I like that they get different people to sing the vocals for the track (and any other track on the album). It lends itself, makes it a nicer mix.

Big Bang Two (2:58) - it reminds me of the songs that Charlie would post on his youtube page. It has a really funky beat haha. I really love how the tune and the vocals work together. One of the faster tracks on the album, you get carried away with it. With a lot of the tracks on this album there is fantastic imagery and you can really see it being used in Doctor Who. Can Chameleon Circuit right a musical episode for Doctor Who? Haha~ Again a lovely track. "Oh my God! He's wearing a fez! Oh my God! He's wearing a fez!"



This album is nice and lengthy too, I was worried that I wouldn't get such a strong offering from the group but wow, they really delivered. Now, I haven't listened to any of their old stuff but this album is worth the money. And now the next track...

Another gritty mix of electronic and heavy guitar riffs. This is becoming something of a signature for the group in this album. While it seems like it would be all the same throughout they do it different each time... This is another instrumental that breaks up the album. Eleven (1:14) is a nice lead into the next track - The Sound of Drums (5:55). Excuse my French but FUCK ME! I love this track. The use of the drumming sound that the master hears and then the lyrics over the top with that amazing pulsing beat? Damn, they really hit this one of the nail. It has that haunting feel to it that you just know is 'evil' enough to be his backing track. I bet the Master would rock out to this every morning before getting up and going about his day. Yup, this track is another firm favourite. Just go listen to it and love it. And the end of this song? Damnnnnn.

Silence And the End of All Things (3:05) is a bittersweet song. The tune makes you think it would be a bit more upbeat but the lyrics are sad, honestly. It's about how the Doctor has to let go of another companion - right? So yeah, it's from his point of view and gah, it's just sad. It has a style that would bring up images of Super Tramp or Gensis in my head. I think it was the vocals more than anything.

Although I have a nice habit of comparing these tracks to other groups, it's just my head. I'm not saying Chamelon doesn't have it's own distinct style - it really does - but hopefully it helps people to understand how they sound if they haven't listened? Ugh, then again maybe the comparions I pick aren't the best...



The Doctor is Dying (3:35) - damn. Another track I love. They've mixed up soft vocals with a nice backing track and that use of the theme tune? Dammit, it's amazing. The effects they've employed over the vocals is... wow. You have to listen to this song. It's very... dramatic? Is that the right word? Seriously, it's hard to describe how BAMF this track is haha. Alex does a fantastic job on the main vocals. The piano at the start and end, eek~ shivers~ It's a nice 'story' song that helps deliver on all fronts. Again, the end of this track is awesome. What am I talking about? The whole thing is awesome. This coupled with The Sound of Drums is just plain sjdkbghjksgdfhjgjf. There have a keysmash.

What other way to end the album but with Still Not Ginger. OMFG! Yup, this is where the name of the album comes in and just.... the point of view of the Doctor from his regeneration haha! Seriously, it makes me chuckle everytime I hear it and it's such an upbeat and fanastic way to end the album. Brilliant, just brilliant. Ahh. Allons-y~

Fish fingers and mustard?
I got a feeling it would be better with custard.
The worst part is that it is actually kind of... tasty...


There we go! You've made it to the end with me. I'd give this album a resounding 10/10 because I'm nerdy, biased and it's the one of the few english albums I own. On look, iTunes is repeating it again. Hey, no complaints here. Even if you aren't into Doctor Who this album is one everyone can enjoy. No, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment